After construction is complete at the Jimmie B. Keel Library there will be 10,000 more square feet at the 2902 W. Bearss Ave. building.
That means a bigger children's room, more community rooms for library programs additional study space, a bigger book store amd more parking.
The $2 million construction project should be complete in December 2013, said Swati Bose, manager of Hillsborough County architectural services. Library hours will remain the same, Bose said.
But until the project is complete library goers will need to contend with a few changes. According to Hillsborough County, here's what to expect during construction:
- A limited number of parking spaces will be blocked off at the east side of the front parking lot to accommodate construction equipment and materials.
- The four disabled parking spaces will be resituated in front of the building to face Bearss Avenue for safety and to ensure continued parking for disabled library patrons.
- Traffic patterns into, out-of, and through the parking lot may be redirected at times to accommodate various phases of the construction process.
- Temporary walls will be built inside the community room and inside the children’s area to accommodate interior renovation work.
- Other portions of the building will be partitioned off and some shelving and collections will be relocated as interior renovations progress.
- Construction activities will create a noisier environment than is typical at the library, but this will be minimized when possible.
The library will maintain its regular hours of operation throughout construction which are Monday through Wednesday 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.; Thursday noon – 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; and Sunday 12:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.
If you have questions about construction call 813-635-5400.