Thanksgiving is a time for friends and family to gather. For many people, pets are part of the celebration. As you celebrate Thanksgiving here are some tips from the ASPCA on feeding Fido and Fluffy:
- If you decided to feet your pet a little bit of turkey, make sure it is boneless and well-cooked.
- Avoid the stuffing. The tasty dish for humans may contain essential oils and resins that can cause gastrointestinal upset and central nervous system depression.
- No dough. Raw bread dough may rise from the heat of the animal's body. As the dough expands the animal may experience vomiting, abdominal pain and bloating. In dogs bloating is a life-threatening emergency requiring surgery, according to WebMD.
- No licking the batter bowl. Batter from cookies, cakes and other yummy dishes may contain raw eggs, which could contain salmonella.
- It is best to keep pets on their regular diets during the holidays.
- Feast in a Kong. Consider stuffing your pets regular dinner into a Kong or mix up a special recipe. The rubber chew toy may also entertain your pet while you eat.