Invite a friend
David Payne presents "Prisoner of Passion"
British actor David Payne presents Prisoner of Passion, a one-man theatrical production about the apostle Paul, at the Center on Sunday, February 17 at 2pm.
SYNOPISIS for Prisoner of Passion- The apostle Paul is under house arrest in Rome and is on his own except for a Roman Soldier guard. The guard is new and, when he is not in Paul’s room, insists on locking the door.
Luke arrives to see Paul but the guard has gone next door to see a friend who is guarding another detainee. Despite the locked door, the two friends are able to talk to one another. Both find great encouragement as Paul reflects on many of the things he has written to the churches.
Even though the apostle faces a very uncertain future, Luke (offstage) finds Paul in good spirits and quick to rejoice in the events of the past and his hope of the future. Using dialog taken almost entirely from the New Testament, the Bible takes on a new, thrilling dynamic as this drama unfolds.
ABOUT David Payne: British actor, David Payne, has gained a considerable reputation for his portrayals of the famous author C.S. Lewis. He has played Lewis in a number of productions of Shadowlands, in his self-penned Weep for Joy and in numerous presentations of his much acclaimed one-man show An Evening with C.S. Lewis. The first Lewis book Payne read was the Screwtape Letters and it was this book that inspired him to pen his first musical, Target Practice. Set in the Academy of Fiends, this energetic show features a cantankerous professor (Payne) tutoring some junior fiends on the art of tripping up humans (Targets). His latest stage show based on Lewis is his self penned St Jack & The Dragon, a touching story about Lewis and his adopted mother. After completing the audio version of a new Bible translation, he was commissioned to write a play as part of its launch. He chose to focus on the Apostle Paul and wrote Prisoner of Passion which is fast becoming one of his most sought after productions. His DVD productions include An Evening with C.S. Lewis, Prisoner of Passion, Target Practice and Relative Surprise which was shot on location in England. Payne continues to tour throughout the U.S. and U.K. and when he is not touring he is either writing or filming. He is married with two sons and three grand children.
WHAT: Prisoner of Passion with David Payne
WHEN: Sunday, February 17 at 2pm
WHERE: Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Road in Tampa
ADVANCED TICKETS: $20 members/ $24 non-members / $22 seniors (65+)
DAY-OF-SHOW TICKETS: $22 members / $26 non-members / $24 seniors (65+)
|Where||Carrollwood Cultural Center 4537 Lowell Rd, Tampa, FL 33618|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Time||2:00 pm–4:00 pm|
More About Carrollwood Cultural Center
The cultural center offers a plethora of opportunities for residents, including classes in painting, music, art and dance. The center also provides an in-house theater company, a children's theater, concerts and an art gallery. Membership costs $50 per year individually or $95 per family. The center's staff says that what sets its center apart is that its programs allow all generations of residents to work together.
Other events here
- SUMMER CAMP TOURS Weekly on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, 10:00 am
- BEAUTIFUL BOBBY BLACKMON Fri, May 31, 8:00 pm
- Monotype Printmaking Workshop Sat, Jun 1, 9:00 am–3:30 pm
- Main Exhibit: Illustrations Fri, Jun 7, 5:00 pm–7:00 pm
- North Tampa Market - GRAND OPENING! May 11, 2013 / June 8, 2013 / July 13, 2013 / August 10, 2013 / September 14, 2013 / October 12, 2013 / November 9, 2013 / December 14, 2013 / January 11, 2014 / February 8, 2014 / March 8, 2014 / April 12, 2014 / May 10, 2014 / June 14, 2014, 10:00 am–2:00 pm
- IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD Sun, Jun 9, 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- SUMMER CAMPS (The Enchanted Kingdom of the Arts) Weekly on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 7:30 am–5:30 pm
- JAZZ WITH JIM Fri, Jun 14, 7:30 pm–9:30 pm
- GIRLS NIGHT OUT COMEDY SHOW Fri, Jun 21, 8:00 pm